Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Couch to 5k

So, yesterday Nelso and I started The Couch to 5k Running Plan. It went pretty well. My legs are a little sore today, but nothing too bad.

In case you're not familiar with the plan, it helps non-runners prepare for a 5k in 9 weeks. You start off really slow, then work your way up. Week One is a five minute walking warm-up, intervals of 90 seconds of walking then 60 seconds of running for 20 minutes, then a 5 minute cool down. Nelso and I wore ourselves out a little early so we shaved off 5 minutes of the running/jogging intervals. We might have to spend an extra week on Week One before we're ready to move on, which is perfectly ok according to the plan.

I think this is a great program for anyone interested in becoming more active. The first few phases are not intimidating at all, I don't see why they wouldn't work for anyone.

Has anyone else tried this program? What did you think?

3 comments:

  1. Jessica and I have been enjoying it as well. We're on week 3 still doing the week 1 routine though. I think we're going to keep doing that until we don't feel like we're going to die.

    I think some of that's got to do with where we've chosen to run though. We go to a local park that has a trail and it's kind of hilly so it makes the jogging bits that much more difficult.

    All told though I think this is one of the best exercise plans we've ever tried...and certainly the one we've stuck with the longest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should check out http://runningintoshape.com/5k-training-downloads/week-1-c25k/ It's a podcast that's all timed out with announcements when to run, etc. It's got kinda awful music though. But it has led me to actually like "Ring on it" by Beyonce, because that means it's almost over. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG...I can't say how much I hate that podcast. Damn it's usefulness and my inability to time myself. I must suffer through that horrific "music" three times a week.

    ReplyDelete