Friday, April 9, 2010

Bible studies for engaged couples

I've spent the better part of the morning looking for a Bible study or devotional that Nelso and I could do together. I've specifically been looking for one that is geared towards engaged couples.

I keep hitting walls on my search. First of all, Nelso and I have lived together for quite some time, and most of these books are about how hard it's going to be to live together for about the first six months. A lot of it is about money, which we already discuss frankly and often. I think we've already reached the milestones these books are trying to prepare couples for, and that they lack relevance to our relationship.

I know that a relationship, especially a marriage, is something that you have to work at. I really want us to start working now, before our relationship actually needs work. But I'm not sure where to turn for guidance.

2 comments:

  1. Personally I feel like the idea that marriage is work doesn't really denote what a marriage really can be. I know for me that there are times when it does seem a little like work, but for the most part marriage is a joy. I don't have to come home to my wife, I get to come home to her. There may be trying times (lets think of those as work) but, the good times will far out way those. Marriage is a vacation from the rest of the idiots you have to deal with in your life, with a couple of annoying calls from the office every now and again.

    Sorry I couldn't be more help on the book front though...I don't really like self help books and I haven't gotten through one yet. Maybe if they'd include dragons or magic I'd be more apt to make it all the way through them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't so much mean that our relationship is work as much as I meant that I think we should actively work to keep our relationship good.

    ReplyDelete